Vegan MoFo 2013: Guacamole empanadasSeptember 3, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Posted in recipe, VeganMoFo | Leave a comment
Tags: burrito, crescent roll dough, dinner, empanadas, food, guacamole, guacamole empanadas, Hispanic, Mexican, queso, silken tofu, spicy, spicy dishes, tomatillo salsa, vegan mofo, Vegan Month of Food
Jamieson (aka Batman) bought me guacamole from Aldi’s recently. (I now LOVE guacamole. Where have you been all my life?!?) On the back of the carton was a recipe for guacamole empanadas. The recipe, as usual, was not vegan-friendly in the least, with 1 pound of ground beef or chicken included in the list of ingredients.
Well, guys and gals, it is Vegan MoFo, so I made vegan guacamole empanadas! Mine aren’t that pretty to look at, but delicious to eat. You can sub the tofu for your favorite mock meat or even beans. Just make sure they are drained properly and are kind of mushy, as it is easier to spread on the dough.
Serves 4 (1 each)
- 1 package of crescent roll dough
- 1/2 cup of prepared guacamole
- 1/2 cup of tomatillo salsa (recipe to follow)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 12-ounce container of lite silken tofu, pressed
- 1/2 packet of taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup of vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- Saute pressed tofu in a skillet, adding taco seasoning halfway through. Let it cool for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat over according to dough’s instructions (probably 425 degrees F.)
- Take out the dough from the container. To form one empanada, place two triangles together, to form one larger triangle. Do this for all the dough, until you form four.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of lime juice into guacamole and stir.
- First, place a long layer of tomatillo salsa to the fatter end of the dough. Then add a long layer of tofu, of guacamole and lastly cheese.
- Take the thin area of the dough and fold over to the fat layer, forming a pocket. Press down on the sides to seal.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
Makes about 2 cups
- 1 medium red tomato
- 3-4 small green tomatillos
- 1 small sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped, canned jalapenos and green chiles
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- Chop everything into small pieces, then add to a bowl.
- Stir and chill before serving.