Throwback Thursday: vegan SpaghettiOsSeptember 5, 2013 at 10:00 am | Posted in recipe, Throwback Thursday, VeganMoFo | Leave a comment
Tags: comfort food, comfort vegan food, Daiya, Earth Balance, Meatout Mondays, Nikki, No Sweat York, noodles, Seeded at the Table, SpaghettiOs, tomato, vegan, vegan mofo, Vegan Month of Food, vegan SpaghettiOs
When I was a little girl, I LOVED SpaghettiOs. A big bowl of SpaghettiOs brings back memories of days spent with the Nana and Pop, where I watched Disney Channel (we didn’t have it at home) and play Chinese checkers.
Being vegan, I don’t get SpaghettiOs that often anymore, unless I figure out a way to make them myself. Well, I did! Jamieson even liked the recipe, saying the dish tasted authentic. I adapted this recipe by Nikki at Seeded at the Table.
Which of you vegans are hankering for SpaghettiOs? I know I am!
I thought this dish was super easy to make, about 30 minutes or so. Make it for dinner and take leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I know your coworkers will be jealous of your homemade and healthier dish than the canned version of youth.
Homemade vegan SpaghettiOs
Serves 4 to 6
- 8 ounces ditalini pasta (or other small pasta)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance
- 1/4 cup soy milk (or other nut milk)
- 1 cup shredded Daiya vegan cheddar cheese
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water, to al dente (about 10 minutes).
- Drain and place pasta back into large pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic powder and red pepper flakes and cook until just fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, water, tomato paste, salt, pepper, sugar and vegan butter. Heat, while stirring, until the butter is melted.
- Slowly stir in the soy milk, then turn the heat to low. Simmer at low heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir the shredded vegan cheese into the soup until melted.
- Pour as much of the tomato sauce into the pasta as desired; stir to combine. You will have a little left over, which can be pour on individual servings if eater desires.