Tags: fat free vegan, microwave potato chips, munchie monday, potatoes, purple potato chips, purple potatoes, Susan, vegan, vegan mofo, Vegan Month of Food
I love potato chips, French fries, mashed potatoes … I have a potato addiction. I love eating them and can eat a ton before I realized that I made myself sick.
But I have been trying to be a good vegan and stick to a diet in order to lose weight. So no more chip bags, gone in a night.
This is why I LOVE Susan from Fat Free Vegan and her amazing microwave potato chip recipe.
I am not going to post the recipe here, since I really didn’t modify it, so go to her blog for the recipe.
The changes I made include using purple potatoes and I ran out of parchment paper, so I greased the glass dish with a little vegetable shortening. It worked out fine and only lost a few chips, mostly the very thin sliced ones. I tried the salt and vinegar variety, and whereas it didn’t have a strong taste, it was good.
If you have a craving for chips, this is a great recipe to try for a fraction of the fat calories.
Tags: 50 States 50 Vegan Dishes, black olives, Food Network, green peppers, Idaho, Idaho nachos, jalapeno, Meatout Mondays, onions, potatoes, vegan, vegan cheese, vegan sour cream, vegetarian
This recipe has been a long time coming. I made this dish MONTHS ago, maybe even before I moved to my new apartment.
Then, life got busy, I started Meatout Mondays, and then I never wrote this blog post.
Well, here it is. IDAHO NACHOS!
What are these exactly? Well, Idaho is known for its potatoes, as it grows one-third of the crop for the U.S. I am surprised that Idaho only grows one-third, as potato is the first word you think of when someone says Idaho.
So, the nachos are regular nachos, just with potatoes instead of tortilla chips. How creative, right?
And, because this is a vegan blog, I made the recipe I found on the Food Network site vegan!
Vegan Idaho Nachos
- Oil, for frying
- 4 Idaho potatoes, sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup sliced green peppers
- 1/4 cup sliced onions
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese, Mexican variety
- Salsa, for garnish
- vegan sour cream, for garnish
- In a pan, put a few inches of oil. Heat oil on the stove over medium for a few minutes.
- Place potato slices in the pan, and then fry until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel.
- Prepare other ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place potatoes in a layer in a dish, and then top with remaining ingredients except salsa and vegan sour cream. The cheese should be on the top.
- Place dish in oven, and let cook for 5 to 10 minutes, keeping an eye on the dish.
- Once the cheese is mostly melted, turn on the broil.
- Again, keep an eye on the dish, and only broil for a few moments until the top is brown.
- Take it out and let it cool for about 2 minutes. Top with salsa and sour cream.